Skip to main content

About this Show

Talk to Al Jazeera

Inside Iran's Nuclear Pact; News/Business. (2013) A top Iranian diplomat discusses the reason behind his country's positive shift in relations with the West. New. (CC) (Stereo)

DURATION
00:31:00

RATING
TV-MA

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v107

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
704

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 16, Syria 14, Iran 13, Iraq 6, Israel 5, Jazeera America 3, America 3, Geneva 3, Shiias 2, Bashar Assad 1, M. Night Shayamalan 1, Thailand 1, South Africa 1, Tores 1, Inviolet Us 1, Oman 1, Mohammed Shyamalan 1, Nicholas Maduro 1, John Kerrkerr 1, Nabors 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Al Jazeera America    Talk to Al Jazeera    Inside Iran's Nuclear Pact; News/Business.  (2013) A top  
   Iranian diplomat discusses the reason behind his country's...  

    December 8, 2013
    7:00 - 7:31pm EST  

7:00pm
ur watching al jazeera america live. the president of the central african republic says he does not have control over his country. fighting has killed nearly 4000 people. >> in ukraine, hundreds of thousands of people are in the streets calling fire their president to resign. he rejected a trade deal with europe in favor of closer ties with russia. a deepening crisis in thailand as members of the main opposition party resigned from parliament today. the party said it stepped down in protest calling the current government illegitimate. they are demanding the prime minister step down.
7:01pm
todd's elections in venzuela is a test for the president. it will reveal the popularity of nicholas maduro, dogged by a major economic crisis. it is a national day of prayer in south africa for nelson mandela. services of all faith did honored the former president. meanwhile, mourners lay flowers and lit candles in johan he isburg. i am jonathan betts. you "talk to al jazeera" is next. for updates anytime of the day, go to aljazeera.com. this is the imagine at the 70 of iran's historic agreement on its nuclear program.
7:02pm
iran agreeing to restrict it's nuclear activities in exchange for a partial lifting of sanctions. tehran says its ultimate goal is a permanent solution that could allow it to pursue a peaceful program. >> nuclear weapons have no place whatsoever in our defense doctorine. >> what was concluded in geneva last night is not a historic agreement. it's a historic mistake. >> many aftcountries, particula saudi arabia is worried they are trying to buy time. the top diplomat is on a charm offensive in the gulf region. can he build bridges with iran's arab nabors? will he attend the syria talks in generva to add more than two years of killing and
7:03pm
destruction? what is behind iran's overtures to the west? you will find out as iran's prime minister talks to al jazeera. thank you very much indeed for talking to al jazeera. iran's nuclear program is an issue. many people in this part of the world say this is a red line. the iranians should not acquire nuclear weapons because this is going just to make this an explosive situation in this part of the world. >> we share that view with them. iran does not seek nuclear weapons. we do not believe that nuclear weapons will increase our security. in fact, we believe even the perception that iran is seeking nuclear weapons is destructive of our security, detramal to security. we are against nuclear weapons based on religious doctorine, based upon strategic consideration, based upon ethical considerations and based
7:04pm
on political considerations. for us, nuclear weapons have no place whatsoever in our defense doctorine. i believe all of us in this region need to unite against a nuclear program that has been a threat to this region. we have all shared this view since 1974 that we need to establish a region free from all weapons of mass destruction. the only regime in the middle east that has both nuclear as well as chemicalcal weapons and not only from the fact that it is al blatant violator of the mpt and all other international instruments on weapons of mass destruction, but, also, it's a violator of the most basic human rights of the palestinians. it tries to divert attention from its inhumane apologized. >> you are referring to israel. israel has described it as a
7:05pm
historic mistake. >> it shows iran never produces nuclear weapons which is the aim and it's an aim that we share, why should i be worried other than the fact that they have been trying to use this smoke screen in order to you evade and in fact divert international attention from their atrocities against the palestinian people. daily violations of the most basic tenants of international law and the fact that they remain the single most important security threat to this region and to the world. >> let's talk in specifics about the deal in terms of what you signed with the p5 plus 1 in exchange of relief from sanctions. what are we going to see by
7:06pm
early january? more intrusive inspections? monitoring of the site? can you explain to us what we will see? >> it is rather elaborate. it's an action plan in fact. i am not going to put the spin on it. i think the plan of action stands on its own. it's written in plain english so people can read it. people do not need to interpret it. it's clear. >> fair enough? >> it's clear iran will continue it's even richment at 5% and iran will continue construction work at iraq. iraq has agreed not to do certain activities that fall within the scope of this timetable and plan of action your interpretation of the deal, itself, says the president said that this deal recognizes our new career rights.
7:07pm
foreign secretary john kerrkerr said, no, it doesn't say so. we are talking being mrooebling. the deal will enable iran to fully enjoy rights under the npt. twice in the 1990 and 2010 review conference, which is the only -- the only reliable source for interpretation of the mpt says that the international community should respect the mpt and that includes enrichment. it's a very clear situation. the united states has a different interpretation of the right, itself. >> there were reports the deal was not only the result of intention negotiations with the p5 plus 1 but secret back channels between you and the americans. you deny these reports? >> they were not secret back channels.
7:08pm
>> we had discussions. they were extensive discussions and these discussions produced this in addition to the very serious discussions we had within 51. oman has played a signifrole in the past with regard to clarifying positions of the united states and iran husband majesty, the sultan of iran paid a visit to iran when it used the opportunity of his meeting with the supreme leader in order to clarify the american positions on this issue. we have valued greatly. but what has happened has been a good number of negotiations within the 5 plus 1 on the sidelines the of the 5 plus 1 in order to reach an agreement. >> many people are wondering: what is it that which sponsored iran suddenly to go for this dealing?
7:09pm
because under former president amadi nejad, it was rhetoric with the west trying to undermine and we are not going to go for a deal with the west. suddenly there was this breakthrough. is it because the sanctions were biting deeply into the economy or from ape political perspective, the architects of iran's diplomacy? we have been undermined from some time. it is time to reach out to the west and show the world we are genuine about starting a new chapter? >> well, you see, in iran, we have political elections, popular e elections and the people choose governments. they chose mahmoud ahmadinejad. they chose a different path this time around. and that election provided a historic opportunity to us and to the west in order to try to address this issue. we are not talking about sanctions. the effect of sanctions has been
7:10pm
two-fold. when sanctions started, iran had less than 200 sentence triv fuse. it has been about 18,000 and 800 centrifuges that has been added to iran's stock of centrifuge. sanctions have utterly failed in that regard. on the other hand. the people of iran blamed the west for restrictions that have been imposed on the livelihood, on the ability to buy medicine, on the ability to finance and purchase food items from abroad and they have blamed it squarely on the west for because they have tried to exercise their right and they have resisted pressure and intimidation and iranians are almost allergic to pressure and intimidation, they respond negatively. it seems to me that the west is trying to take advantage of this
7:11pm
object to the form. we have a new government in iran with a different. foreign policy, different approach on foreign policy. the tenants have not changed. we will insist on our rights. we will not negotiation or compromise on the rights of the iranian people. but we believe this can be achieved best through constru constructive engagement. the window of opportunity is a limited window. i believe the west needs to they believe that the west has applied that there has been pressure on iranians because they tried to exercise their right amend they believe this needs to be changed. >> i see your rationale. you would like to see iran delivering on the promises it made. you know that now you will be scrutinized by everybody on this planet? >> we have been scrutinized.
7:12pm
>> exactly they have been searching iran up and down in and out for the past 10 years, probably more than they have searched any other country on the face of this earth. and they have not found a single evidence of dye version of our nuclear program into anything but peaceful purposes. so we are not worried. we know that our program is transparent. we know that our program is exclusively for peaceful purposes. so we have no problem. we have nothing to hide. we believe that the international community will find for itself that it has been basically, it'ss energy, resources and a great deal of money because these inspections require a lot of money. all of this will have been waited on an attempt, pushed by possessor of nuclear weapons outside the framework of mpt,
7:13pm
with most security council regulations that it has not complied with, i am talking about israel and it is diverting international attention, wasting international money, creating a smoke screen, fearmongering, in fact, trading in international fear, & black male in order to advance its legitimate policies and practices in this region. we are not in for a surprise. the international community is for a surprise. >> i see your point. israel, many arab countries are also of the same view that, you know what? we don't trust iran and iran's nuclear program for us is a real issue. >>ibility end from -- >>ibility i need of the day, our
7:14pm
neighbors in gcc came out with a statement in cue a kuwait welco the agreement. i welcome their sense of realism and the attempt to address the realities underground rather than anxieties. i believe what we have heard has been spontaneous sort of emotional reactions, but the total outcome of our friends in the region has been positive. it continues to be israel that continues to do everything in its power in order to derail the process and in order to prevent it from implementation. our friends in the region have nothing to lose. our friends in the region have nothing to fear about. this agreement will only strengthen our security. >> coming up, i asked iran's prime minister if he is willing
7:15pm
to reach schools sectarian -- reach across sectarian division to find a solution to the war in syr syria. innovation changes our lives. opening doors ... opening possibilities. taking the impossible from lab ... to life. on techknow, our scientists bring you a sneak-peak of the future, and take you behind the scenes at our evolving world. techknow - ideas, invention, life.
7:16pm
the stream is uniquely interactive television. we depend on you, >> you are one of the voices of this show. >> so join the conversation and make it your own. >> the stream. weeknights 7:30 et / 4:30 pt on al jazeera america and join the conversation online @ajamstream.
7:17pm
>> this week on talk to al jazeera, we are talking with iran's foreign minister mohammed shyamalan. >> you said iran does not seem to be on your agenda for the time being. is this a sign that relations are still strained? >> i said that saudi arabia is an important country in our region. we believe that iran's relations with saudi arabia are important for iran, our relations with our neighbors. i played a decision to come to the region immediately after returning from general easy a it can only help the entire region and is not against any of our
7:18pm
neighbors. that decision came very late, and we are still arranging a couple of other trips that we have to make to the region to complete my tour. so, it's too early to say whether the fact that it means our relation with saudi arabia is strained. i hope to be able to arrange a meeting in saudi aur abe i can't. >> the reason i ask you this question, i have been traveling extensively in this part of the world, which is a tree dominantly sunni world. the perception of this part of the world is is that iran is a destabilizing factor, trying to remote islam, not really a good friend. there is this deep mistrust. are you on a mission to try to wind hearts and minds in this part of the world? >> we have a foreign policy which has a stripling eatic period in this region. and we believe that we need all of us need to cooperate with
7:19pm
each other to, in fact, contain thespread of sectarian divide in the region because we believe sectarianism is dangerous for the entire region. iran is certainly not interested in promoting that. in fact, we have talked to everybody from the very first days of assuming. i visited iraq, and the core of my discussions with all iraqis both shiia and sunni, kurd and arab was the need to contain the sectarian divide. we believe that is a fire that can en gul the entire region and beyond and we believe it is in the interest of every single state in the region as well as all of the peoples of the region to build on our commonalities and we have a great deal. we share the same religion, the same history. more importantly, we share the same geography. we are -- our neighbors, we have
7:20pm
very similar interests. our interests cannot be divided. our security is i have did i have vise i believe. we have security for all of us or none of us will have security. these are firm commitments that iran will build its foreign policy upon and i believe we want to promote that type of thinking and mentality, not the remnants of cold war mentality of zero sum games. >> you know, sir, reality on the ground is different. when you talk to officials in this part of the world, particularly this part of the world, they will tell you, you know what? we have seen the iranians undermining sunnis in iraq. we have seen them promoting hezbollah in lebanon. they are totally -- we were totally proposed of this motion of maintaining a stable region. how do you respond to those accusations? >> have they told you we have also supported a very sunni
7:21pm
ma' hammas moment? we have stood for unity with iraq, our relations with every group in iraq, including kurds who happen to be majority sunnis and sunnis in iraq are excellent. iran sports regional stability. iran supports resistance. these are our policies and they go across sectarian divide. it is unhealthy and, in fact, dangerous to try to describe iranian policies in sectarian terms. i believe this is not in the interest of peace and security in the rehmingon. i invite all of my friends in the region to join us. we can work together. we can help each other. we can contain the threats of violence and extremism raging in our region. those threats do not recognize sectarian lines. those threats have those extremists have attacked as many sunnis as they have attacked shiias. it is importantly for all of us
7:22pm
to work together to contain the extremism in our region. it's a common thread. it's not a thread directed against one orb another group within the islamy world. our differences are little. what joins us is far greater than what divides us. >> the sectarian divide has never been proceed pronounced than now, particularly until places like syria and syria has been stoking this will strained relations for you and let's be specific. the saudis, qataris, the emirates and the kurds. can you bridge this divide when it comes to syria? >> i think we all should work to end violence, to bring about political resolution to this tragedy that is a shame for bothsunnis and shiias. it's a shame for the islamic world. we have to come to the
7:23pm
residesation that these divisions will not help resolve the problem that creating devisive tackics will not present a solution to this problem. trying to seek a military solution either from within or trying to invite outsiders to intervene militarily in syria will not resolve the problem. in fact, there is no military solution to the tragedy in syria we need to bring them all together. what we can do, the future of syria can only be decided by the syrians and the syrians, alone. what all of us can do and i invite all of our friends to do the same is to help facilitate a dialogue among syrians with a view to finding a political solution and with a few tonding the violence in syria. extremism until syria will harm all of us. extremism until syria cannot be contained today syria.
7:24pm
our friends in the region will be the first targets and victims of extremism as our friends in pakistan were the first victims of taliban extremism. we all need to realized that past mistakes should not be repeated. we all need to work together. we all need foresight. we all need to have a forward-looking future orientiated outlook. let the people decide their future. >> still ahead, would iran attend a peace conference on syria? we will ask iran's foreign minister. >> on america tonight a remarkable breakthrough in the treatment of cancer. >> just a miracle... >> people who had no hope now tell their extraordinary stories. >> i thought i was gonna die... on america tonight on al jazeera america
7:25pm
7:26pm
>> evey sunday night, join us for exclusive, >> every sunday night, join us for exclusive, revealing and surprising talks with the most interesting people of our time. next sunday: thinking about how to structure movies, so this is highly unusual. >> the director of the sixth sense, says there are five things we can do to fix education in america >> the united states has education apartheid, that's the facts... >> talk to al jazeera with m. night shayamalan next sunday at 7et / 4pt on al jazeera america
7:27pm
you said that you would be happy to go to geneva peace talks if invited, the general eva peace talks would take place in january. what kind of assistance can you bring for iran? can you force, for example, the regime into medication concessio
7:28pm
concessions? we can only bring home the fact that there current be a military solution in syria. there needs to be a political solution and the ultimate solution is through the ballot box for the syrian people to decide under appropriate circumstances. so what we can do, if invited, is to help even if you are not invited. we have sirius interests in having stability in our region. and that is why invited or not, we will contribute to finding a peaceful revolution of this unfortunate crisis. >> to be invited, you have to overcome a major obstacle to convince the syrian opposition that you are a genuine mediator because for the time being, iran has been providing president bashar assad and sending fighters. therefore, they cannot be in any future peace talks. >> we are not going to convince anybody. if they want to inviolet us, we will be happy to attend. if they don't want to invite us, we will not beg for an invitati invitation. if they do not invite iran, they do not invite iran to their own detriment. iran is there to contribute to a peaceful resolution of this crisis and i believe i will leave it there? >> you know, sir, that the ultimate goal as stated by the americans, the french, the uk,
7:29pm
and many other states, the ultimate goal of geneva talks is to lay down the foundations of a transitional government with full executive powers, which means that it's going to be a government that takes over and bashar al assad steps aside. >> it's for the syrian people to decide. i do not believe that any power outside syria can decide for the syrian people it has been this type of mentality that has prevailed and prevented the peaceful outcome to this crisis. they shout allow the syrians to sit together and find the resolution they should only facilitate the resolution and not set conditions for a resolution. >> thank you very much indeed for talking to us. >> thank you for having me. >> good day, sir.
7:30pm
>> hello and welcome. i am here to talk about innovations that can change lives. we are going to explore the intersection of hardware and humanity and doing it in a unique way. this is a show about science by scientists. let's check out our team of hardcore nerds. lindsey miran is a cia operative and analyst. tonight, high tech crime stoppers. shots fired in the night. cops pinpoint the crime scene. how do they do it? the new science of solving crime. crystal dilworth is a scientist. if you think wine making is old school, think good. the newest ways of making wine. >> a neuro scientist and i will phil tores, an entimologist. the by onic arm. see how it's more